Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Teaser Tuesdays! Sparking your interest in books!

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (Fiction/Post-apocalyptic)
"She traces one long finger down my cheek, her fingernail sharp against my skin. You will be the end of us if you keep following this path! I can feel it, I can see it now." (pg 65)

 
I was excited to finally get and read this book. It started out quite interesting but as it went on the story-telling just didn't fill in the plot holes, like how did the society get this way in the first place? The main character was not very likeable and wound up being a let down by the end of the book. I was left wanting by the time the story was finished and the ending was not that satisfying after the time invested. There is a sequel but I've decided that it's not worth reading if it is anything like the first book. I also came to the conclusion that I am not really a lover of zombie stories, they're just too mindless for me! (I couldn't resist, sorry). I don't like the Walking Dead show either, even though many people do like it, it's not that interesting to me. Destroy! Destroy! Run away from zombies, kill the zombies, mindless destruction...snooze. 


On the other hand I loved the movie with Will Smith (2007) I Am Legend, it had me on the edge of my seat and invested in the characters. I have also read the original 
I Am Legend story by Robert Matheson, where the main character is a little different from the depiction by Will Smith (Smith does it better IMHO), and liked it. Even though there are some zombie characters in the Garth Nix book series (Sabriel), that I have previously reviewed here, there are other plots and action going on in the book besides the zombie mindless kill-it-all mentality and the characters are developed much better by Nix. So now you know... but if you are a zombie fan, maybe you would be interested in checking out this book.

A scene from the movie I Am Legend, starring Will Smith (2007).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Roundup...

I've reached a benchmark of reading 68 books out of my stated goal of 75, so far this year, it's time for an update. Over the years ...