Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Teaser Tuesdays- Sparking your interest in books!

(Steampunk)
The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher
(The Cinder Spires)
 
      I've been a fan of Butcher's Dresden Files for quite a while now. Since I've read all of that series I've been kindof starved for more of Harry Dresden. So I have read all of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series (which I love), and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series (which I also love but seems to be getting repetitive now) to fill the gap. Butcher has written the Furies of Calderon series but I have only read the first volume so far and I'm not ready to form an opinion on it yet. I am an easily distracted book lover and keep getting sidetracked into reading other stuff, but I do have more books from the Furies of Calderon series occupying space on my bookshelves and plan to read them soon.
      I purchased this steampunk offering (Windlass-hardcover) about 6 months ago on a trip. I realized I didn't have room for it in my suitcase so I gave it to my daughter to read until at such a time when I visited her again and took it back with a less crammed suitcase. Well last week I came home from visiting my daughter with my book, I had started reading it at her house. My suitcase was still too full so I carried it onto the plane and continued reading it on the trip home. I have been happily satisfied with the results and am now just over halfway through the book. This book has reminded me why I enjoy Jim Butcher as an author, he really does have a way with words and a great imagination, along with a good sense of humor- this all gets rolled up into one of his books! I am loving The Aeronaut's Windlass! I really like the characters and the setting is very unique. I am not quite sure why the people are living in cities in the sky, or what happened to earth, if there is even an earth somewhere in this universe, but small tidbits of information have been sown among the action in the story that might lead to an explanation. I think Rowl the cat and his person Bridget are my favorite characters so far, Folly the Etheriel apprentice, is also pretty intriguing.


Book Quotes:
The Aeronaut's Windlass, page 214.
Gwendolyn Lancaster looked around Predator with what she felt was well-earned skepticism. It seemed that in following the orders of the Spirearch, she had fallen in with scoundrels.”
(The Spirearch is the name for the leader of the city/'spire' in which Gwen lives.)

Another quote from page 92, that I thought was quite timely during this election year in the USA right now.
Politics is the purview of scoundrels, tyrants, and fools.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Roundup...

I've reached a benchmark of reading 68 books out of my stated goal of 75, so far this year, it's time for an update. Over the years ...