Friday, January 14, 2011

A New Year


The Joy of a New Year

I’ve been thinking about starting a blog for a while now. I had one on Yahoo for a while but the forum I was using was discontinued and I never updated to the new one. January can be a time of doldrums, the weather is generally gloomy this time of year, I miss the sunshine and there isn’t much to look forward to after the full days of the holidays’ just past.

I’m wondering if I am the only one who feels relieved that Christmas is over. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but it seems like the holiday has become awfully complicated lately. There is so much preparation, it feels endless sometimes. I am relieved for it to be over. Does that make me a Grinch?? The real meaning of the holiday gets lost amid all the preparations. Besides wasn’t Christ really born in the springtime? Shouldn‘t we celebrate his birth then?

As if Christmas was not all encompassing in and of itself, in our family I have to deal with three of my children’s birthdays in Dec., and my wedding anniversary on Dec. 27th. These occasions add to the craziness of December at our house and I just wind up getting exhausted!

With January here I know the days will soon be getting longer. I have my gardening catalogs to look over! I can indulge in one of my favorite pastimes of reading a good book in a comfy chair with a cozy blanket, a cup of cocoa, and a warming fireplace nearby.

What are you reading this January? I read two or three books at a time, all the time, depending on my mood…currently reading Assassin’s Creed Renaissance (based on the computer game) by Oliver Bowden, Black Ships by Jo Graham, and Between the Testaments (from Malachi to Matthew) by S. Kent Brown and Richard N. Holzapfel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Roundup...

I've reached a benchmark of reading 68 books out of my stated goal of 75, so far this year, it's time for an update. Over the years ...