Monday, August 5, 2013

Foodie Reads...



If you like to read and also consider your-self a fan of food related subjects, or a “Foodie”, here are some reading suggestions. I am trying to do a book challenge on the Foodie subject so I’ve started reading and collecting a few foodie books for the challenge.
I can’t vouch for all the books; I am just putting them out there for your information. I read Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential as my first pick for the challenge and was sorely disappointed.  It was terrible and I am confused that it is such popular book. It was more about getting drunk and the sex escapades of people working in the food industry then about being a chef. For me, that one was a bust, but, nevertheless, I am still committed to reading some more foodie books, (not recipe books).

On this list, three of them I know to have been made into movies, Chocolat, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Julie and Julia. I am searching for Babette’s Feast by Isak Dinesen (the same author as Out of Africa) but it seems hard to find. If you have more suggestions or reviews of books on the subject that you have read please share.

Foodie List:
1.      Love and Hunger by Charlotte Wood
2.      Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
3.      She Flew the Coop by Michael Lee West
4.      The Dinner by Herman Koch
5.      Chocolat by Joanne Harris
6.      Babette’s Feast by Isak Denesen
7.      Heartburn by Nora Ephron
8.      The Gourmet, by Muriel Barbery
9.      Limoncella and Linen Water, by Tessa Kiros
10.  Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell
11.  The Cook Companion, by Stephanie Alexander
12.  Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café, by Fannie Flagg
13.  The Cook, by Wayne Maccauley
14.  Pomegranate Soup, by Marsha Mehran
15.  Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga, by Mort Rosenblum
16.  Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, and The Peach Keeper by Sarah A. Allen
17.  Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil by Tom Mueller
18.  Olive Oil: From Tree to Table by Laurie Smith
19.  Salt: A World History, by Mark Kurlansky
20.  Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit , by Barry Estabrook
21.  Several Books by Michael Pollan


This is just a short list of book titles that seem interesting for the “Foodie” reader.
Your suggestions and reviews of other foodie books are welcome in the comments. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Roundup...

I've reached a benchmark of reading 68 books out of my stated goal of 75, so far this year, it's time for an update. Over the years ...